Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Doi Begun/ Brinjal in curd/ Eggplant in yogurt


Doi Begun is a very popular Bengali vegetarian dish. This is one of the special item my mother prepares whenever I visit my native.I used to relish that very much. That is why I made this preparation on that special day of poila boisakh.

Ingredients:

Brinjal or Eggplant (round) 1 large
cumin seeds                       1/2 tsp
Green chili (slitted)             3
Ginger paste                       1 tsp
Turmeric powder                1tsp
Red chili powder                 1/2 tsp
Curd                                   200 gms
Salt ( as per taste)
Sugar 1 tsp
Mustard oil
Fresh coriander leaves (Chopped)


Method:

1. Cut Brinjal into round pieces and add turmeric powder and salt . Mix it well and keep it for marinate .

2 Heat oil in a pan and fry those brinjal pieces until it becomes soft and turn  brownish yellow.

3.Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seed. When seeds splutters, add ginger paste and fry for a couple of minute. Add chopped green chili, turmeric powder, red chili powder and little water. Fry the masala for sometime and then switch reduce  the flame. Now  beat the curd (yogurt)with salt and sugar and add gently to the masala. Stir gently for a couple of minutes.

4. Add fried brinjal pieces. Mix it with the gravy and cover it. Let it cook for another couple of minutes. Add Chopped coriander leaves. Remove from fire.

Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve with hot plain rice.

Going for the "Flavors of Bengal" event and Nayanas event.




24 comments:

Suman Singh said...

Its been long since I made this..yours look great and simply delicious!

Sunanda said...

Thanks for such a quick reply..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious recipe...looks inviting...

Madhu said...

its a new dish for me Sunanda :) will give it a try :)

Ila said...

yummy and tempting eggplant yogurt recipe :)

AMMU MOHAN said...

First time here..wonderful recipe..looks good..inviting me..

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely recipe.. looks amazing !!
Indian Cuisine

Unknown said...

Fantastic - Love this always!

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, doi begun looks delicious..yumm!

divya said...

Simply inviting and tempting curry,yumm!

vandana rajesh said...

This looks so delicious...perfect Sunanda.

aipi said...

I love love this- perfect with piping hot rice- YUM!
US Masala

Raji said...

I love bengali dishes and this one looks super good. Will make this when I buy eggplant next time.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have not had this dish but it sounds delicious and I would love to try it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

your combination looks irresistable..
Tasty Appetite

Anonymous said...

This was delicious! I just made it last night. I didn't have mustard oil and omitted the chili, but it is now my favourite eggplant dish. Thanks!

Tanmoy said...

Hi Sunanda, your Doi Begun recipe is a hit :-) Many thanks...When I prepared it for the first time, I got rave reviews from my wife and friends...

Regards

Unknown said...

hai mam thank u for this recipe ...
i am doing this for first time and it came really well :)
it taste different.. very nice ..
thanku :)

Unknown said...

will definitely try ............ In sha Allah !!
Happy Cooking :)

Unknown said...

will definitely try ............ In sha Allah !!
Happy Cooking :)

Anonymous said...

it's easy n really good...

Anonymous said...

Very nice...tasty

Anonymous said...

Easy and tasty.

Sukanya Sen said...

Very nice recipe. Tastes awesome. Thanks for sharing

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin