Hilsa fish, commonly known as 'Ilish maachh' in Bengal is very much popular fish among Bengalees. Any preparation with Ilish becomes Bengal delicacy. Ilish is actually considered as national fish of Bangladesh and it is extremely popular in the Indian states adjacent to Bangladesh border. It is actually a sea fish but it lays egg in rivers and thats the time when they are caught, that is why sometimes we get eggs inside the fish and which makes it even more tasty. Any preparation of Ilish usually doesn't require much of spice as the aroma of the fish itself is enough to make the dish delicious. Today I want to share the recipe of 'Shorshe Ilish', a famous Bengali delicacy, which is actually Hilsa cooked in mustard sauce. This is one of the easiest preparation of Ilish and can be cooked in Microwave also.
Hilsha/Ilish fish 5 or 6 pieces
Mustard seed 3 tbsp
Onion 1pc (finely chopped)
Green chili 4 to 5
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt (as per taste)
Sugar (as per taste)
1. Soak mustard in water for about an hour and then grind it into a fine paste.
2. Clean the pieces of Ilish fish and placed it in a steel container box having lid.
3. Add the mustard paste to the fish and then add chopped onion, turmeric powder, slitted green chilis, salt and little sugar and finally 2 tbsp mustard oil mustard oil. Now mix the whole mixture so that the paste get mixed thoroughly with the fish. Now close the lid of the container.
4. Heat a large pan and add about 4 cups of water. Now placed the steel container inside the pan . Cover the pan and let it cook in high flame for about 5 minute and then reduced the flame and cook for another 12 to 15 minute(Check the level of water inside the pan at regular interval it shouldn't get dried up).
6. Serve hot with steam rice.