Thursday, July 31, 2008

Raw Papaya with coconut


This vegetarian recipe is a very innovative, healthy and delicious dish made of rare combination of papaya and coconut. It was created by my mother and now I prepare it most often. I recommend this recipe strongly because of its taste.

INGREDIENTS:

500gms Raw papaya.
200 gms. grated coconut.
2 potatoes (diced).
3 slitted green chili.
2 bay leaves.
2 whole red chilis.
1 tsp fenugreek (methi)
1 tsp.turmeric powder.
1 tsp.cumin powder.
1 tsp.garam masala powder.
1 tsp. ghee.
Salt.
Sugar.
Oil.

METHOD:

1.Wash and peel off papaya and grate it. Fry Potato pieces and set aside.

2.Heat oil in a pan. Add 2 red chilis and methi seeds. When methi becomes brown black add grated coconut and slitted green chili and fry it until becomes golden. Now add grated papaya and saute for 5 minutes.

3. Add fried potatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and salt. Stir frequently and then cover it . Let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium flame with stirring at regular interval.

4. open the lid ,add a tsp.of garam masala and a tsp. of sugar and stir fry in high flame for about 5 more minutes. Now add ghee and cover it and finally cook for a couple of minutes in low flame.


Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with plain rice.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this dish from my childhood..you have put nice preparation for that..Thanks to bring that in ur blog..

Sunanda said...

Thnx! for the comment. Hope You will try it at home and let me know how it was...

Jaya M said...

Hi,
Sunanda
thanks for droping by at my place .
Welcome to blogging world.and wow! the recipes here are so mouth-watering and yummy ...keep posting....
hugs and smiles
jaya

Sunanda said...

Thnxa lot! Jaya for visiting my blog and liking the recipe. Hope u will try this and do let me know how it came out. Thnx again...

Anisheetu said...

Hi nice blog... this recipe is new to me... will give a try... u have a nice blog.

Unknown said...

hi Sunanda, you have a great blog yourself...loved your vege dishes and pictures are great...Thanks for visiting my blog!!!

Sunanda said...

Thnks! Sowmya for visiting my blog. More delicious and new recipes are yet to come...So keep visiting.Your blog was really creative and awesome.
Thanx! again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin