1 Large fish head (Rohu or Katla).
50 gms (2 tblsp.)Flavored rice ( Basmati or Jeera rice).
1 onion (grated).
1 onion cut into cubes.
1 tblsp. grated ginger.
3 green chilis (slitted).
1 Tomato (chopped).
1 bay leaf.
2 cinnamon stick.
2 tsp. turmeric powder.
1/2 tsp. Coriander powder.
½ tsp.Cumin powder.
1 tsp. red chili powder.
1 tsp. Garam masala powder.
Salt (According to taste).
Mustard oil (Any other oil also can be used.).
- Wash the fish and cut into 2 halves. Mix turmeric powder and salt to it. Heat oil in a pan and fry those pieces until it becomes golden.
- Heat oil in a pan and put washed rice grains and fry them for a couple of minute and set aside.
- Put 1 tbsp. oil in the pan and heat it. Add 1 bay leaf, whole cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Fry them for a minute and then add onion cubes. When onion becomes soft add grated onion, ginger and green chilis. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Now add turmeric powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Red chili powder and salt. Fry the masala for 5 to 6 minutes and add chopped tomato and again cook it for another couple of minutes.
- When the tomato become soft, adds fried rice and stir a little. Now add 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid pf the pan and let it cooked for 10 minutes so that the rice gets boiled well.
- Finally add fish head pieces and Gram masala. Cover it and again and cook for another 5 minutes with stirring slowly so that the pieces doesn’t get smashed. When the water reduces and gravy becomes thick reduce the flame and add tsp. of ghee. Now take it out and serve it hot.