Friday, August 15, 2008

Shorshe Maach (Fish With Mustard) Recipe



This is an authentic bengali recipe which is very quick and easy to prepare.The taste of this recipe is completely different from other bengali dishes because of the pungent flavor of mustard.This recipe is considered to be healthier than other non veg dishes as it is cooked in steam and very less oil is required for it. Any fish like Rohu, Katla,Telapia, pabda, pomfret and specially Hilsa (illish maach) which is highly recommended for this dish. Another specialty of this recipe is it can be cooked in pan as well as in microwave.

INGREDIENTS:

500 gms fish.
2 tblsp. mustard paste(0.
1 tsp. green chili paste.
1 large onion finely chopped.
2 green chilis (slitted).
1 tsp. turmeric powder.
1 tsp. Salt (as per taste).
1 tsp sugar.
2 tblsp. kachhi ghani mustard oil.

METHOD:

1.Wash and cut fish into pieces.

2.Take a stainless steel box and mix fish pieces, mustard paste, chili paste, chopped onion, turmeric powder, salt sugar and mustard oil. after mixing add slitted green chilis. Close the lid of the box.

3.Pour 2 cups of water in a large pan and keep the closed box in the pan and cover with a lid. Reduce the flame to medium and let it cook for 20 minutes. If the water in the pan dries, add more water.

* For microwave preparation, mix all the ingredients in a microwave safe container and and let it cook in microwave for 15 minutes in 850W with Stiring twice or thrice in between.

4.When the fishes are well cooked,take it out in a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.

8 comments:

Jim Wilson Ministries Wealth Creation said...

I tried this one and it is beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite.

Any other fish recipes that you would like to share???/ My tummy begs of you ! Thank you, Rev. J Wilson

Official Jim Wilson Ministries

Unknown said...

What mustard paste do u use for this. I tried grinding yellow mustard seeds & ended up with a bitter mustard paste!! Help

Sunanda said...

Hi Sonali, though I used black mustard but yellow mustard also shld go well.. soak mustard for a hour then grind itin a mixer grinder along with green chilli and an onion to get a smooth paste.

Marty said...

Hi, i am a bachelor staying in Johannesburg. Therefore i have to cook all my meals myself. Thanks to your website today I am a very good cook. I am a favorite amongst women thanks to my cooking. Please do keep up the fantastic work. Thank you so much, Amartya Mallick. My mail id is amartya.mallick@gmail.com

Sonia said...

Hey Sunanda, first time on your blog. love the easy fish recipe here. Would definitely try it.
I have a fish curry recipe on my blog that I recently posted, How I wish I had known of this event.

@Sonali, I guess I can help you in this as the bitter thing happened with me as well a couple of times. I guess it is more about the kind of mustard seeds we buy. Since then, I make sure, I am buying the smaller sized seeds of yellow mustard.. (there are 2 size of yellow mustard seeds, check this when you buy the packet)

prashanthi said...

absolutely loved this taste. Tried this with catfish fillets and it turned out nice and moist. Thanks!!! Keep posting any steamed recipes that u come up with..

Sunanda said...

If you dont have microwave.. all ou have to do is mix all the ingredient in a steel box and then tightly cover with a lead and put on an pan where water is boiling. now cover the pan and let it cook for 12 to 14 minute..

Suvan said...

I bought katla today and was clueless on what or how to make good use of it. as always the trusted internet,after some random searches, gave me your recipe and it was delicious. thanks for your kind rescue effort.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin